Your child’s first dance class can be a magical experience for both the student and parent. But, from the very first class, you can expect your child to learn social and class room skills that will not only help them excel in dance class, but in other classroom situations as well.
Here is a list of 5 things you can expect your dancer to learn in his or her first dance class.
- How to Sit and Stand Like a Dancer: Your dancer will learn to sit like a dancer in a cris cross position.They will also learn how to stand like a dancer with one foot at a time. This is a very important exercise for them, since they are learning to move from a high level to a low level and vice versa. This will help develop coordination and balance as they develop, minimizing risk of injury as they progress to harder movements as they age.
- How to Raise their hand: This will help them become more accustomed to waiting for the teacher to call on them. Many kids have a hard time waiting on their turn to be called. Reiterating this in dance class is a great way to create good classroom habits for the future.
- How to Take Turns: Taking turns is an important action for young kids. They are working on sharing and being courteous to others in their everyday life. Sharing their space and the dance floor is a lesson that will continue with them as they grow. Spacial awareness while dancing has to be nurtured and groomed from the beginning.
- How to Stand on their Spot: Standing still in one spot is a difficult task for any young child. They have energy bursting out of the seems! Starting as young as 3, they are introduced to standing on their spots. This is their special dance space and it’s to be treated with care.
- How to Line up for Pick Up and Drop Off: Waiting in a nice line outside of the dance room will keep the dancers organized before and after classes. It is of the utmost importance that dancers are lined up waiting for their parents to come get them in order to make sure they are picked up by the appropriate person. Having a calm and orderly pick and drop off procedure will make for a smoother, safer process.